Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Longest Walk

"Paradoxical as it sounds, more diligence actually brings more relief. Any selfishness on the other Hand, magnifies our weariness. Selfishness not only shrinks the quality of service we render, but it also provides none of the needed renewal." 
-Endure it Well
Elder Maxwell
This week was one of the most rewarding weeks on my mission, however it wasn't in the way you'd expect. It would be awesome if I could report to you all that we taught 12 lessons this week, and we contacted 150 people, but this is not the case. 
To start off the week, we had a lot of finding planned. In Chicagoland creative finding in the winter just isn't possible. Why? Because it's too cold to be outside. I have never been rejected so much on my mission than this week. We knocked so many doors, walked every downtown in our area, and literally no one we talked to felt like accepting the gospel. I think the moment where I was about ready to give up was after knocking on the door of a woman who was less than happy to see us on her front porch. After shewing us off her property I had had it. It was 1 degree outside, with windchill that was a steady -11. My mood definitely fit the scenery: cold and desolate, like the hearts of everyone we had contacted that week (looking back, I'm sure they're good people... ðŸ˜¬). However, a quote from Elder Maxwell came to mind. It goes, "Paradoxical as it sounds, more diligence actually brings more relief. ANY selfishness on the other hand, magnifies our weariness. Selfishness not only shrinks the quality of service we render, but it also provides none of the needed renewal." I realized that I was turning in on my discomfort. As I began an outward effort, we started to see success. Friday evening we taught an amazing first lesson to Tom. His countenance was very meek, and he pondered on Joseph Smith's account of the First Vision, and the introduction of the Book of Mormon. He accepted our invitation the read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it is true, and he, himself set up a followup appointment for this upcoming Friday. 
     At MLC, Elder Carter and I had the opportunity to demonstrate how to teach the restoration to a member family, and it went really well. The spirit was definitely there with us, and I was really happy with the lesson. 
     That's about it for this week. I know that the Lord hears and answers your prayers, and that because of your Savior, Jesus Christ, any trial you experience is for your good. I love you all, have a great week! ðŸ˜Š
Love,
Elder Fa'afetai Phipps  



No comments:

Post a Comment